Last month’s GDPR* deadline sparked concern in the United States, because we’ll soon follow Europe’s lead. The message is clear: You risk losing public trust—and your credibility as a digital communicator—if you don’t get ahead of data privacy. Join Daniel M. Goldberg (Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz), Will Ruppel (IBM) and Brandi Boatner (IBM) to discover—before it’s too late—how new data policies and practices will directly affect your websites, social media, media outreach and even email marketing.
What you’ll learn:
- Why GDPR is a call to upgrade your U.S. data privacy plan now
- How to bring website and social media data policies up to date
- How to fix crisis response plans to address compliance issues or breaches
- Practical insights and checklists to build data transparency and trust
* (general data protection regulation)
1–2 p.m. Central time
The Legal Briefing
Where do we go from here? How GDPR will change your job forever
GDPR and the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica meltdown are wake-up calls for U.S.-based companies and communicators. If you have a website, social media presence or even email list—you could be subject to GDPR and what’s next. This is your chance to improve your data privacy program before it’s too late. Join to learn:
- GDPR summary: Important provisions you need to know
- What’s next—new regulations and fines on the horizon
- How to update email, website and social media data policies
- Crisis insights: How to respond to data security incidents
Daniel M. Goldberg is a privacy and data security associate at Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz.
2–2:30 p.m. Central time
Understanding data privacy in the digital age: Communications gets personal
Consumers and governments are demanding more transparency regarding data privacy. Transparency and trust are foundational for an effective communicator. Regardless of whether you’re at a U.S.-based company, the GDPR changes how you collect and manage information from clients, journalists, social media influencers and target audiences. Join to hear how these regulations affect you—and how you can be prepared for what’s coming. You’ll learn:
- Why PR will increase in importance as advertising retools and adjusts
- Tips to boost transparency and trust for reputation management
- Implications for targeting your target audience (paid social media)
- What the new guidelines are for social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn—and how to create your brand's roadmap for future endeavors
Will Ruppel is the digital strategy and communications lead at IBM.
Brandi Boatner is the social and influencer communications lead at IBM.