Video dominates online. It evokes emotion and persuades. It builds trust and credibility. It can also attract viral audiences. Join this three-session workshop to learn the latest tools and techniques to help you become a master video communicator. You’ll discover how to shoot eye-catching videos on the cheap. You’ll also learn a simple process for adding livestreaming on Facebook Live, Instagram and YouTube Live to your program— along with new ways to attract larger audiences to your social media videos.
Noon–1 p.m. Central time
Session 1: Video Storytelling
Emotional storytelling: Produce videos that intrigue and captivate larger audiences
Would you like to build a large fan base with videos that elicit emotional responses such as joy and empowerment? Would you like to discover your brand’s “emotional destination”—and use it to create videos that convey your message on social media? Veteran video producer Drew Keller will teach you how to plan and produce videos with big-time impact—but without a big-time budget.
- How to determine the emotional destination of your story
- Takeaways from our powerful videos production guide: How your emotional destination will affect each step of the process:
- How to work with transcripts to create visual narratives
- Easy ways to capture great images when the lighting is bad
- Why great sound can make or break your emotional video
- The fundamentals of framing, lighting and more …
Drew Killer is a video producer at StoryGuide and content developer at Microsoft.
1:15–2:15 p.m. Central time
Session 2: Smartphone Videos
Run-and-gun videos: Smartphone techniques and apps that will transform you into a video hero
Video constitutes over 90 percent of web traffic, but much of it isn’t worth watching—including boring event videos and executive interviews. This session changes that. You’ll get takeaways that anyone at your organization can use to shoot higher-quality, more-shareable videos using only their smartphones. You’ll also walk away with checklists to ensure production polish for every video story you create.
- How to conceive cool videos for your smartphone
- Scripting and storyboarding tips for smartphone video
- Essential equipment—and why better audio matters
- A practical “run and gun” video shooting guide
- How to lower the price point for your video content
- Common smartphone shooting pitfalls to avoid
- Cool free and low-cost apps you can’t live without
- Preparing for augmented relaity—how these skills apply to the future of video
Rob Kelton is a video producer at Intel.
2:30–3:30 p.m. Central time
Session 3: Livestreaming Skills
The livestreaming life: Engage audiences with confidence on Facebook Live, Instagram and YouTube
Livestreaming is hot, but it’s not for every company, and it’s not an add-on. Join this session to hear—from a video trainer who has worked with Google—exactly how to integrate live video into your social media strategy so you’re not just “checking the box.” You’ll learn which platforms best fit your brand, how to comfortably improvise unscripted content, and how to build an engaged following on Facebook Live, Instagram and YouTube.
- What’s new on livestreaming—and how it has evolved since the early days of Meerkat and Periscope
- What live video really is—and why Snapchat doesn’t qualify
- How to create a streaming-ready social media strategy
- How to choose the best platform for your brand
- Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable, including:
- How to overcome performance anxiety
- How to shoot live with confidence
- How to constantly change—test, run and revise
- Case studies: How winning brands engage with live audiences
- Best practices on Facebook Live, Instagram and YouTube Live
- How to measure live video success
Ms. Candy Blog is an award-nominated YouTuber and Klout’s No. 1 female streaming-video geek.